Read this morning a good blog post by Kevin Eikenberry about how leaders can create buy-in or ownership. Here are his nine steps but I recommend you read the entire post.
- Be genuine.
- State your intention (sometimes). Most of the time it is a good idea to tell people what you are doing.
- Be prepared. Don’t shoot from the hip.
- Give context, not opinions.
- Talk about why.
- Ask. Yup, ask for their input. Get their ideas.
- Shut up and listen.
- Think “and”. Leave your “but” mindset at home.
- Summarize and add as needed.