Today is our 19th wedding anniversary and Tonya and I will be celebrating by driving through parts of Oklahoma and Kansas. I would say she has put up with me for nineteen years but the truth is … it’s closer to twenty-one when you factor in the dating years. It has been an amazing time and yet …
- I’m still amazed that she grew up as the daughter of a pastor and still married one any way.
- I’m still amazed at how kind and gentle she is with everybody.
- I’m still amazed at how she loves to study her Bible, alone and with other women.
- I’m still amazed at her love of singing.
- I’m still amazed at how she is raising our two daughters to be godly young women.
- I’m still amazed at the sacrifices she makes to live off a “pastor’s” salary.
- I’m still amazed at how she gives herself away to others in need.
- I’m still amazed she hasn’t wrung my neck for saying and doing stupid things — I’ve given her ample opportunity.
At least we’ve proven one marital myth to be untrue: that the longer you are married, the more you begin to look alike. For her sake, that’s a good thing.